Friday, January 28, 2011

What is Happening?

Sometimes K will stop in her tracks, look around, and say, "What is happening?" There's usually no (obvious) outside impetus, and she quickly goes back to whatever she'd been doing. (Today, for instance, the question came in the middle of a rousing session of "let's hit the clock reset button on the radio hundreds of times in a row.")

Lately, Fridays have become my cleaning days. (Well, cleaning along with everything else days. I *try* to finish my Work work early on Fridays so I can focus on taking care of my family and not just clients.) Floors, bathrooms, kitchen, get caught up on dishes, etc etc. And do you know what? I'm kind of diggin' it. I kind of enjoy Cleaning Fridays, even.

What is happening?

I guess I should add the "my 'clean' may not be what you consider 'clean'" disclaimer, because even after a full Friday of cleaning, no one is going to walk through the door and say, "Wow, this house is sparkling and spotless!" My goal is more humble: as long as they don't walk through the door and say, "Excuse me, I need to call CPS now," I'm happy. 

The "clean" never lasts very long. Boots come in and leave pools of melting snow in the kitchen. K decides she wants popcorn for a snack (is there a way to eat popcorn without little pieces of it getting everywhere? I really want to know). I decide that baking with a toddler and letting her measure out the flour is a good idea. Just as I was writing this blog entry someone spilled a cup of pop all over the floor that I finished scrubbing not 45 minutes ago. But! I know that it was recently clean, and that it can be clean again, and that it's not such a lost cause. And that's a good feeling.

Motherhood does strange things to a person. It makes you ask yourself tough questions like, "What might be the best cleaning tool with which to get dried-on splotchy mounds of red jello off of the hundred year old hardwood floor?" (Hint: it's not your fingernails. Trust me on that one.) 

Is there a "mom job" that you find yourself enjoying these days, much to the surprise of your pre-parent self?

1 comment:

  1. When my kids were newborns, I use to love to do their laundry. Everything was so tiny and cute I couldn't help but smile :) Both the kids and the clothes are bigger now, but I still enjoy the process. Now scrubbing the toilet? Yea, still can't force myself to enjoy that......blah!

    ReplyDelete

Please consider leaving a comment and saying hello!